27.7.10

EASY PEASY DINNER WINNERS #7

Got this quick & easy vegetarian curry recipe from my sister quite a few years ago.
Back when I, who hated cooking and had a VERY small repertoire, needed some easy recipes to pop on the table.
Being forced to cook a meal every night for kids has given me a whole new confidence in cooking - forced experience really.
My (slightly annoying) children don't like the same meal to be repeated within a two week period, so I had to move beyond the tuna casserole (learned in Home Economics in year 10) & spag. bog. every few nights.
I, unfortunately, don't actually make this one any more because none of my kids eat pumpkin any more. None of them. :( But they all love pumpkin soup - what is with that?!


PUMPKIN & LENTIL CURRY

1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 clove crushed garlic
1 cup pumpkin, diced
1 cup potato, diced
400g can lentils, undrained
400g can tomato pieces, undrained
2 tbspns chopped fresh coriander leaves

1. Heat oil in large frying pan. Add cumin, tumeric & garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

2. Stir in diced pumpkin, potato, lentils and tomato pieces, combining well. Cover & simmer over a low heat for 20 mins or until pumpkin & potato are cooked through.

3. Add coriander leaves and salt to taste and serve immediately.

GUEST RECIPE:
from Simoney at Great Fun 4 Kids

SPEEDY CHICKEN NACHOS

Ingredients:
500g chicken meat, diced
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can mild chilli beans
1 cup frozen corn

PLUS:
corn chips (large bag)
grated cheese
lite sour cream

Method:
brown the diced chicken in a little oil until cooked through
tip in can of beans
tip in can of soup
tip in cup of frozen corn

On individual plates arrange the corn chips and sprinkle grated cheese over. Microwave each plate on high for 30secs or until cheese is melted.
Spoon chilli mixture onto chips and top with a blob of sour cream.

Enjoy the fact that you have a delicious meal full of goodness ready in 10 minutes flat, fifteen tops.
(serves six)

Simoney's blog is always full of honest, down to earth posts about herself & her family.
She also runs Kids Click which is well worth a look if you parent some budding photographers!

Next week I am hoping to set up a linky to this post, so think about those easy dinner recipes that you whip up every week, pop it on your blog and link it up next Tuesday!

For more easy peasy dinner winners click here.

11 comments:

Sonia said...

Great to hear you're doing Mr Linky. I'll be there with bells on!

Love the curry. I'm so doing that one next. If my kids didn't eat pumpkin, that would be the end of me. The list of no-go vegies at my place is getting very long....

Maxabella said...

Yummo, I'll be trying that one! BTW, I think I would go crazy if my children didn't let me rotate the same 6 or 7 meals... how do you cope!?!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Yum, I'll be trying the curry the first opportunity I get (when hubby is not home for dinner one night, he does not like pumpkin)
Yes, my Miss 4, who has eaten almost everything since being 6 months old, is now getting fussy. She wont eat potatoes at all - but of course will eat chips.
At least most kids grow out of being so fussy (I did!) but it is a long wait for us mums (and dads) doing the cooking.

Steph said...

Looks great! Will have to give that one a whirl...especially when you've forgotten to defrost some meat. Thanks for sharing and hope you're having a lovely week :)

deux chiens et un garcon said...

Hello, looks yummy. This morning I whipped up your zuchini slice from an earlier recipe post and it turned out fab. My son is 7 months and does not want to be spoon fed at all. In fact he is not really into eating much at all yet. I have been out of touch with cooking for so long now, and after 6 months of conquering breast feeding it has seemed so overwhelming to contemplate cooking for someone else's succour as well. However he devoured your slice today. Hooray!

fantastic blog. I have only just starteed and it is a bit thin on the ground. Yours is so fleshed out and wonderful to read. I am still learning how to design/link/make things work. But it feels goo to be writing and documenting daily chaos that is in one's head.

thanks again

alicia said...

Both sound so yummy. Thanks so much for sharing and linkin up with tasty tuesdays. I'm adding these to my list of ones to try. Hope you'll come back again.

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

With the curry recipe, apparently you can exchange the garlic for onion (why not add both!) and the coriander for parsley. Play around!

Simoney said...

Awesome! Hey and I found out how to make this meal gluten free this week! Instead of MILD chilli beans, use HOT. Hot ones for some reason are gluten free. And use doritos for the corn chips, plain or cheese flavour. Wahoo!

Firefly@fireflyblog.org said...

So yummy, both recipes!

Hannah said...

Yumm, they both look really good!

Cuggles! Kids said...

Lets see.... yes and yes! These both look worthy of addition to my monthly menu plan. Might bump a couple of old favs to try these before I go off and have another baby. After that happens we might be back to plain pasta with cheese and peas night after night, or more likely, cereal for dinner. : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails