24.8.10

EASY PEASY DINNER WINNERS #11

This week's easy peasy dinner winner is Taco's.
Of course the easiest option is to buy a packet of taco seasoning, but one day I hadn't bought any and knew there must be a DIY alternative out there. So, I did what I always do and googled it. This version only takes a minute or two anyway.


DIY Taco Seasoning

  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

If you want it a bit spicier - add some cayenne pepper. If you want it less spicy, omit the chili powder.

You can keep this in an airtight container in the cupboard for whenever you need it.
When I need it, I add it to 500g beef mince and a chopped onion.

The favorite in our house is to use soft tortillas for tacos. These are delivered each week in our Aussie Farmers delivery (Our shelves would be bare without Aussie Farmers!). I also use tortillas for lunch wraps, as pizza bases or for thin toasted sandwiches.

As I do when we make our own pizzas, I just put lots of small bowls on the table full of things like:
grated cheese
grated carrot
shredded iceberg lettuce
chopped capsicum
diced tomatoes
slices of avocado
and everyone makes their own.
It's often a big mess and the cheese gets eaten first, but some of the vegies do manage to go in at some stage. In some more than others.

After being inspired by seeing some great easy peasy desserts on many of your blogs and realising that, unlike me, many people do have dessert after a meal more than once a month, I'll now be including a quick dessert every now and then on a Tuesday. So, feel free to link your easy peasy desserts as well as your easy peasy meals each week.
The following is one I have been known to do when unexpected guests arrive...tastes divine. Came from the Donna Hay 'Food Fast' cookbook. Another title I like!


EASY APPLE TARTS

2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
2 apples (pink lady or sweet apples)
brown sugar
melted butter

Preheat oven to 220C. Cut each pastry sheet into 2 pieces. Core the apples and slice thinly. Place the pastry on baking trays lined with baking paper and top the pastry with a layer of apples down the middle. Brush the apples with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve with thick cream or ice-cream.

Now it's your turn!
Take a photo of your dinner tonight, or sometime this week, & link your easy peasy recipe down below, so that we can all give it a go. Don't forget to link back to here in your post so others can join in the fun and have access to some great new easy dinner recipes.
Alternatively, feel free to just link up an old post that you've written if it contains what we're after.
Remember - no dinner is too easy!
Bring on the easy peasy desserts as well - yum!

5 comments:

Melinda @ Here We Go Loopy Lou said...

Fantastic recipies. Everytime I use the packet taco mix, I wish I hadn't, spend the whole night gulping water from all the salt! Will def try yours out.

Faith Hope and a whole lotta Love said...

yummmmmo....we Love tacos in our house & yes I have always wondered what is in the packet mix. Glad you have found a homemade one I can try - thank you :)

Sonia said...

My own taco seasoning - brilliant! The packet stuff is soooo salty (having the same reaction as Melinda!). Thank you.

Gina said...

I love tacos and 'mexican' in general, thanks for the home-made seasoning. Not that I have half of the spices at present, but I'll stock up!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

We had taco's last night too, we have them all the time, they are SO yummy! We have chicken ones more often than beef, but both delish.
We made our own seasoning a few years ago, and it was yummy. To be honest, Chris's mum sends us, all the way from England, taco seasoning, as it is the best one we have ever tasted, and it is not available in Aus.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails