21.12.10

DIY BONBONS {AKA Christmas crackers}


Last night was the last of my weekly craft nights for the month of December. It has been such a good way to ensure that I fitted in the crafty things that I wanted to fit in this year. Chatting with friends doing their own crafty things with some sweet treats and a glass of wine is something I really enjoy.

Last night Goose joined us (school holidays & all) and we made bon-bons (or christmas crackers as they are known in other parts of the world). We have making our own bon-bons for Christmas dinner for as long as I can remember.

We save toilet rolls for the month prior and put different goodies inside every year. In previous years we've included bible verses, stickers, novelty gifts, activity sheet, scratchies, bubbles, stickers, the possibilities are endless...

You always need a 'snap' which they sell at Riot Art or Spotlight). This year we went for some christmas glitter sprinkly things (that I picked up at the Reject Shop for $2), a corny Christmas 'Dad' joke, a tissue paper crown, a gourmet chocolate and a little activity.

The little activity this year is a bundle of 10 toothpicks and 10 mini marshmallows (all those pink ones that we didn't use here) to be used to construct a mini tower at the table. The tallest tower, that stays up, gets a prize.

The above photo was taken a few years ago when we did the same activity with my family. We are having Christmas lunch with my husband's family this year.

This activity idea was completely stolen from the talented Amber Carvan from Kids Craft Weekly. She has many fun and creative Christmas cracker ideas, ideal for making with preschoolers (or older) children, in her printable PDF 'Christmas Craft'. For only $6US I highly recommend purchasing, particularly as you receive it straight away!

Here is a tutorial that she wrote on how to make her 'crazy hat crackers' - I think we'll try that next year.

If you use fake cherries to decorate your bon-bons, just remember to tell young children that they are not lollypops before they take a bite into them...

Do you make bonbons? What do you put inside?

9 comments:

BOB & MABEL said...

The bon-bons look fantastic and I really love the marshmallow towers!

kasiabear said...

Loooving your Chrissy crafts!!
Just tagged you on my blog for our reindeer food bags..
Xx thank you again!!

Red Letter Studio said...

these look fantastic!!! great idea, and actually cool stuff in the bonbon rather than the crap you normally get in the bought ones!!! nice ;)

The KitchenMaid said...

Just beautiful! Love the idea of your craft evenings, must get something like that started in the new year (not tonight though, am in midst of tidying bombsite house and making muffins for lunch tomorrow... and, oh yes, stopping by to let you know that you can usually buy molasses at supermarkets or healthfood stores, but if you can't get any, use golden syrup or treacle (treacle would be better). Have a wonderful Christmas with your special ones, can't wait to see/hear what you get up to, Lucy x

Catherine said...

Your bon bons look great. I've never made them before but you have inspired me, I'll see how I go though still some sewing left to do....

Maxabella said...

These are so delightful, FGB, especially the construction game. I will make my own next year when I am hosting Chrimbo. I think they would be lost amongst the old Italians at LOML's parents this year. They don't tend to go for the 'details'!! x

Anna Bartlett said...

Superb! I've been delaying finishing the bonbons because I really wasn't inspired about what to put in them - but the toothpicks and marshmallows would be fantastic! Thank you SO MUCH!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

They are so beautiful, I'm inspired for this XMAS

Jane said...

These crackers are lovely. Simple and stylish

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails