25.5.11

EASY PEASY MORNING TEA


I was very, very proud of myself this week because...
I made scones.

For some reason, I have always been scared of scones. They seemed on a par with sponge cakes and pavlovas. In the realm of the experts at the CWA who had perfected the art over many many years.


I actually laughed at myself when I realised how easy they were. This recipe was given to me by my new friend Susannah (who has, by the way, just started her own very cool blog - head on over for a visit!). As usual I had some willing helpers and in no time at all (seriously!!) we had a batch of scones on the table and in even less time than that - all were gone - delicious!!


EASY PEASY SCONES
3 cups SR flour
1 cup lemonade (or even soda water)
1 cup cream

I'm not exactly sure on the correct way to make scones, but I just mixed the ingredients together, rolled them into balls (using some extra flour on the bench & on hands) and popped them onto a small lightly greased (& slightly floured) tray. Then into a 200 degree celcius oven for around 10 mins (depending on size of scones).


I notice that my friend Sonia from Lioness Lady also uses the exact same recipe. I'm onto a winner and I encourage you to give it a go! Next I'm going to experiment with adding extra ingredients like ham and cheese or raisins & the like, as they may just work in lunchboxes! If you haven't yet, please check out this post and share your lunchbox tips! I need all the variety I can get!

If you're after more easy peasy recipes, you might like to head over here.



17 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

You are so clever - I seem to be fairly useless in the scone department unless I use the CWA ladies premix (the shame...)

Fiona said...

They look terrific!
Seriously, you need to try pavlova. There is not an easier dessert to be made, promise.

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...

yum, yum chooks bum! Superb scone effort!

Sannah said...

Your scones look much prettier than mine, as I can never find the cutter (might have to start using a wine glass!). Thanks for the mention. I love this recipe as it is just so easy, never fails, and everyone seems to love them. I have been making meringues this week, and although a little fiddlier, they have been very well received! Hope you have a lovely week!

Diminishing Lucy said...

I love lemondade scones. I haven't made them for ages. I might have to do these with Lexie - she loves a scone...

joolzmac said...

This lemonade scone recipe is a ripper. I could tell you to mix the scone mixture with a knife, flatten out the dough on a floured surface to about 1 inch thick, cut out using a small drinking glass, place on a lined baking tray, brush with milk ... but why would I? - yours look perfect!

Cheers - Joolz

Tania said...

I know what you mean. Scary trying to compete with those CWA experts. But I reckon you nailed the scone thing.

Kristy Chip said...

Wow! They look brilliant! I love this scone recipe... I always use it for a quick and easy morning tea with friends.

Jane's Journal said...

Fantastic! Brings back memories! Good job, Emma

Maxabella said...

Lemonade scones are foolproof and in my humble opinion (shut your ears, Mrs CWA) they taste better than those fiddly butter into flour ones.

I swap plain flour for wholemeal, diet lemonade for plain and light cream for full fat and then these make a fantabulous after school snack! x

Mama of 2 boys said...

They DO sound easy peasy and LOOK delicious! I'm feeling like a little devonshire tea right now actually. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to give these a whirl :o)

ange_moore said...

That's how I make scones too - so very, very easy!! I now keep some of those "mixer" sized lemonade bottles in my pantry for when the scone mood might strike.

Gina said...

Hi Emma - finally back to
commenting on posts, hooray! (for months I've had funny messages about browsers and cookies when I try to comment on certain blogs, yours included, but I've just figured out that if I try straight away, it usually works. Derr!)

meanwhile, I too have recently tried this recipe, and am obsessed! A neighbour made us some scones when we had just had the bub, and I loved them so much I asked for her method. Despite having my hands fuller than before, I've made them numerous times in the last month. She reckons that savoury ones work with beer! I'm planning to try with soda water and sugar as we have a soda stream but not lemonade on hand. Anyway, sorry for boring you but I'm so glad to be in comment-land again I feel like blabbing on and on!!!

LionessLady said...

Delish Emma! They look perfect. Inf act, thinking of whipping myself up some today with some fresh quince jelly from my mum's stash.

V said...

First visit to your blog... These scones look lovely and mouthwatering! I always wanted to make scones and now with this recipe it is for sure that I'm going to try... thank you!

MultipleMum said...

HI Emma! So nice to see you again. These look so simple! I must give them a try. I think my sister-in-law does something similar and they are always top notch. Thanks for joining the Weekend Rewind x

Carriescarats said...

I too have always had a fear of those things & let me add roasts & souffles...I'm going to make scones for brekky for the Boyz tomorrow! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails