12.7.11

A KITE PARTY

Yesterday was a very windy day here in Melbourne. Perfect for kite flying!
Perfect for a kite themed birthday party for my gorgeously cheeky 3 year old nephew!


Delicious kite cupcakes made by none other than the highly talented Cathie!

The hit of the party - cones full of popcorn, or were they clouds?

The kite and cloud scrapbooking paper was a great find to easily bring the theme together. I'm a big fan of named drinks. Saves money and rubbish and kids like to take them home too. Also makes a healthy drink seem a little more fun. Lou had lots of healthy and fun party food available with falafel or beef burgers, egg & bacon pies, savoury rolls, sausage rolls, mini blueberry muffins, popcorn, fruit salad & yoghurt cups. Followed by a simple kite cake made, as per usual, by the birthday boy's Dad!

The kids decorated their own kites with stickers, textas and ribbons as a party activity*, then at the end of the party those who were interested trekked down to the park and flew our kites! For handmade kites - they were fantastic! The wind just picked them up with ease and even Frog (below, aged 2) could do it all on her own.


We all had such a fun day - thanks Lou!

For more DIY party ideas, head over here.


* Lou got her kite making kits on the internet. Hopefully she'll read this post and put in the comments where she got them from, but she did say the same ones were available all over the web.

17 comments:

LionessLady said...

What a sweet party theme - and loving those yummy cupcakes!

Lou said...

These kite kits were from Kite Magic in Coogee NSW (Australia). http://www.kitesite.com.au/There were a few other places available offering similar things - slightly different sized kites and varying levels of service and communication ;) These guys were very efficient and helpful.

The scrapbooking paper was from www.twosisters.com.au

Thanks again Cathie for the delicious and gorgeous cupcakes!

Glad you all had a good time!

Lou

Lou said...

Haha, I just looked at the photos again and realised the photo of the cake was taken after the kids had pulled all the licorice kite string off! The bows are hanging in mid air. They are fast!

deux chiens et un garcon said...

what a fantastic theme for a boy's party. mental note for me.

you guys make it looks so easy.

xx

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Lou, I changed the cake photo - now includes licorice kite strings!

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

hah! saw this over at Cathies yesterday and i was wondering who's party it was!!! You are known as the kids party paparazzi you know!!! I love the kite theme- who would have thought something so simple could work so well! Love It and thanks for sharing xx

Anna Bartlett said...

Now that's a lovely theme! Love the DIY kites and Cathie's cupcakes. Must mention the Dad-made cake to my husband...

Kirsty said...

By what miracle of gravity are those popcorn cones standing up??

I actually have this party them in mind for a party next year so very exciting to pick up some extra tips.

Mama Pea Pod said...

Omgosh, I'm so in love with this kite theme! Everything looks SO ADORABLE! Now I just need to work on steering at least one of my daughters into kite-loving.

Mama Pea Pod said...

PS - Just noticed my button at the bottom of your page - thanks! :-)

Sarah said...

Gorgeous Emma! I'm in party planning mode this week. I so wish I could whisk you over to my place for the week! I love the water idea and I'm totally going with that one. Actually I might pinch your popcorn cones too!

Sarah said...

Just bookmarked your egg and bacon pies. Yummo.

Jane's Journal said...

What a talented family! Proud mum here. Thanks, Em, for giving me an insight into the gorgeous kite party I missed.

Lou said...

I thought I should just add a note about how the popcorn cones are standing up for Kirsty... mine was a cardboard box covered in paper, wooden skewers (kebab sticks) pushed into the box but still sticking out the top, a small hole in the bottom when you make the cone or the end cut off the bottom of the cone - for the cones to slip over the top of the stick. It doesn't matter if the cones wobble around on the stick when you put them on as the popcorn will hold them up straight and in place. When you take a cone they just slide straight off the top of the stick.

Some people use polystyrene or similar instead of the cardboard box but that's all I had lying around. You can also use other types of sticks - lollypop type, paddle pop/ice-cream sticks but they would be easier with the polystyrene. The sharp end on the wooden skewer sticks meant I could poke them through the cardboard box.

Have fun! Lou.

Stasha said...

What a great party theme. Everything about it is perfect, specially the B'day girl.

Used Cars Melbourne said...

Cute birthday girl.

Party Princess said...

I really didn't know that we can arrange a party on theme like kite and can do this kind of lots of innovative things. and i really liked kite shaped birthday cake.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails