3.9.11

SIMPLE HANDMADE GIFTS FOR GIRLS... part three

Got a bit distracted with birthday parties and the like over the last couple of weeks, but I'm back on board continuing with a little series of posts on quick and simple handmade gifts for girls.  Click here to see parts one and two.  There will be more to follow.  There are just so many ideas out there!

Part three - Fabric Covered Buttons



Once again, a fantastic way to use up scraps of fabric and are very quick to make.  You will be surprised how ridiculously simple they are to make and also how ridiculously addictive they are too!  They also make great party favours.



There is a very easy to follow tutorial here.  


There are many places where you can purchase the tools required to make these buttons.  I purchase mine from here and there is another supplier mentioned in the tutorial link.

Once you have the hairties down pat you can move on to using the same technique to make buttons to add to hairclips, bobby pins, headbands, brooches, necklaces, bookmarks, rings, magnets and even drawing pins.

This photo was taken of Frog when she was younger wearing a gorgeous fabric covered button headband made by her gorgeous aunty Lou - who is the button queen!  Incidentally it also happens to be her birthday today - Happy Birthday Lou!

Now go and give it a try - you will not be able to stop once you do!




P.S. Just don't give them to kids with not enough hair to put up in a ponytail (I have done this three times recently! three!).  The headband would be a better option in that case... I think I might try that next time!

3 comments:

LionessLady said...

Thanks again for sharing Em! And happy birthday to Lou! I used to buy buttons and clips from her at the market - hope she is well.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous! What a clever idea too :o) Thank you for sharing something lovely and simple... I need simple projects ;o) xo

CC said...

Thanks for the tip. I've made fabric coved buttons before but never thought to make my own hair ties (in fact I just bought some online a few days ago - derr, wish I'd read your post first). Will definitely be making my own now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails