22.9.11

SIMPLE HANDMADE GIFTS FOR GIRLS... part four

Just like the previous posts of simple handmade gifts for girls, this craft is quick and easy and uses up your fabric scraps.  Perfect for a bit of last minute gift making.


Fabric yo-yo's

I borrowed my sister Lou's yo-yo maker to make them and they were so quick and easy.  A couple of minutes each.  You could purchase one at your local craft store, but they also sell them here or here for around $10. They even come in other shapes like hearts, butterflies & flowers.  


Here is a link to a tutorial on how to make them using a yo-yo maker, and 
here is a link on how to make them without one (also quiet easy).

You can add them to a t-shirt like my sister Lou, who made these cute green & yellow numbers.  Frog has one of these gorgeous t-shirts (gifted to her by her Aunty Lou) and it is one of her absolute favourites!




I think they might also become as addictive as the fabric covered buttons.  Actually, I have combined the two and have been making headbands with a yo-yo and fabric covered button on the top for Frog and a few of her friends for their birthdays.


As well as embelishments for headbands and tshirts, you could add a brooch back, or sew onto a hairclip or a hairtie, put them on a card or even sew them together and make a cushion, a bracelet or a garland.  I have even heard of people sewing them together and making whole quilts out of them!

For more creative inspiration I'll be heading over to our creative spaces today.

If you have made some simple handmade gifts for girls, I'd love to hear about it.  I'd love to include a guest post or two if anyone is interested?

11 comments:

Kylie said...

I love Yoyo's - they look great on EVERYTHING:) (girly of course)

tartankiwi said...

I've been meaning to try making yoyo's for a while now. Thanks for the tutorial,I'm off to use up some scraps!

deux chiens et un garcon said...

Sounds so quick and how do they pick up a white t.

Very charmiing.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Your yo-yo's are gorgeous, Emma!
They are WAY addictive. Have fun :)
Cat

Amy said...

I love fabric yo-yo's! I have a pile of plain shirts in my sewing room waiting for something to be done with them, now I know what I will be doing (when I get some time that is!)

LionessLady said...

Thanks Emma for the idea - I am definately going to give these a go! Great idea for a party gift too!

Maxabella said...

I'm a sucker for a yo-yo on a girl's frock. Add a ruffle, a bit of ric rac or a touch of glitter and I want it for myself! x

Sam said...

Oh, I love these, but I haven't tried making them as yet. Love the tshirt idea especially, now you've inspired me.:)Sam

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love the yo-yos and will have to give them a go, they look so gorgeous.

Gaby said...

i love fabric yo yo's! So many things you can do with them!

Tansy Dolls said...

Ooh! I especially love the ones with the yo-yos and buttons together! So simple and pretty. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails