3.10.11

DIY FIZZY SHERBET {aka edible fairy dust}

I wasn't really focusing at the time Goose asked if she could make something out of her science experiment book.  She said she could do it herself and she'd checked and we had all of the ingredients.


It may not be the healthiest of foods (!?!) but the kids LOVED it* It tasted just like Wizz Fizz in those little paper bags with the dipping candy and brought me right back to my childhood.


DIY Fizzy Sherbert
based on this source

5 tablespoons of icing sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 teaspoon jelly crystals

Mix all ingredients together and eat!


In the end, I only allowed Goose to put a couple of spoonfuls in a shot glass for herself & each of her siblings.  We added a bit of edible glitter and called it fairy dust.  Now the remainder is sitting in a bowl at the back of the bench where no little ones can grab it, and I'm finding myself dipping my finger in every time I go past!   

So as my children lick paddle pop sticks covered in pink fizzy raspberry flavoured sugar, and I feel like a terrible parent, I am still envisioning it packaged in little white paper bags with a paddle pop stick attached with a pink bow and labeled 'edible fairy dust' as a party favour!  Can't be any worse than a lollypop and much more fun!

If you like things that fizz, you might also like this kids activity, or for other things to do with your kids these school holidays, head over to my kids craft page.



*of course they did, it was almost pure sugar! She did use jelly with natural flavour & colour... does that make it better!

6 comments:

Mama Pea Pod said...

Oooooh, I LOVED those fizzy sherbets in the paper bags. Double Dips - with two different flavours, one in each side of the packet. Mmmmm.

While I would (ahem!) never make them for my kids (!), now you've got me thinking I should make these for myself! ;-p

deux chiens et un garcon said...

Hmmmm memories.

I am shcoked when I think about how much sugar i consumed as a kiddo. I remember spending all my pocket money, a whole twenty five cents worth on a sunny boy, sherbet packet and a choo choo bar.

Now I am a meanie mummy.

Great idea though. I am sure it was a hit.

Jill

ZippyZippy said...

I loved the Wizz Fizz when I was little - who did'nt!
I think we will make this tomorrow - just for meeeee :)
Thanks Emma - I love your ideas

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh I love it Emma! What a fun idea... I am such a sweet tooth I would be dipping my whole hand in that bowl ;o) Clever clever you, yet again xo

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh my! I didn't know you could make your own fizzy sherbert!! How cool!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty :-)

Maggy

Sannah said...

Must buy some citric acid!
And where do you get edible glitter from? That sounds fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails