4.11.11

EASY PEASY HEDGEHOG SLICE

Marie Biscuits & Sweetened Condensed Milk are two ingredients that I always, always have in my cupboard.


When one is required, last minute, to 'bring a plate', some people find it much easier to just pop down to the shop and grab a packet of biscuits, but for me it's not always convenient to do that, and I find it easier to just make a quick slice late the night before than go to the shop at that time.  Often I'm home alone at that hour anyway and it is not an option with sleeping kids.

With these two ingredients I can make:
                                             choc-peppermint slice (new for me - thanks Julie!)
or the longtime favourite, and once again a childhood favourite from my mother...

HEDGEHOG SLICE

2 pkts Arnott's Marie Biscuits*
2 tbspn cocoa
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup mini marshmallows
200g melted butter

1. Crush biscuits.  
(Most finely crushed, while still leaving quite a few larger pieces)
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Press into a greased slice tin.
4. Refrigerate for approx. 20 mins or until hard.
5. Ice with chocolate butter icing. 
6. Sprinkle icing with shredded coconut or hundreds & thousands.

ICING recipe - I just guess with the quantities - sorry!  But it is roughly 2 cups of icing sugar, 1 tbspn cocoa, 2 tbspn soft butter & enough boiling water to make it correct consistency.  


Do you have a recipe that uses these two ingredients?  
I'd love to give it a go and add it to my repertoire!

For more easy peasy recipes, you might like to check out the FGB easy recipes page.





* This batch was actually made using a packet of teddy bear biscuits.  They did the same job.

13 comments:

Hey Mickey said...

Yum, an oldie but a goodie!

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oooo you're a clever cookie. Marie biscuits and condensed milk are brilliant aren't they!? I couldn't agree more, these two ingredients really can be lifesavers on the last minute cooking front. I'm a HUGE fan of eating hedgehog slice, but have never actually made it myself. Thank you for this lovely recipe, it's inspired me to give it a go now :o)
And thanks for the mention in this post too Emma xoxo

Sannah said...

I made this yesterday afternoon!! Weird :)
I couldn't find my normal recipe, so used a different one that was butter and sugar instead of condensed milk. I don't think it is very good, but it is sweet and chocolatey, so the kiddies will eat it regardless...
I think I might try your recipe today, it looks much better than the one I did!

CC said...

Yum. The mini marshmallows would be a nice addition. I've added chopped glacé cherries in the past, which was pretty good. I like to keep condensed milk on hand, too. Usually for lemon slice or caramel slice. Recently I had to come up with a 'plate' at short notice and tried out a recipe for cherry ripe slice.
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Cherry-Ripe-Slice-L1248.html
Too easy, and it disappeared in minutes.

ally said...

Oh I've been searching for that peppermint slice recipe without success - thankyou
Will try your hedgehog too.

Jaz Higgins said...

Ok, that looks like a diet killer - but certainly worth it! Yum!

I also thought I'd mention that you were awarded a "Tell Me About Yourself" award on my blog. :)

Jaz.

ZippyZippy said...

Thanks Emma, I have a hedgehog recipe that i am happy with, but I am definately going to try the mint slice - yummo

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

totally with you!! I will always buy a packet of plain bikkies and condensed milk for "emergency" baking!!! xx

Kelly Moes said...

Used your recipe today, but replaced the mini marshmallows with broken up Mint Aero bars....yum!
I love condensed milk/plain bikki recipes too - my all time fav (and great to do with the kids) - choc truffles - crush Marie biscuits, mix with coconut and cocoa, mix in tin condensed milk, roll into bite size balls, then roll in coconut or choc sprinkles. The kids love them....if I don't get to them first!

Kelly Moes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Moes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katef said...

My Mum always made this when I was a kid, and now she makes it for my kids whenever we visit. We are still trying to work out why it is called hedgehog though!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

This is such a classic recipe, made it as a kid, need to make it with my kids now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails