13.12.11

EASY PAPER CHRISTMAS DECOS (& a handy tree hanging tip)

While making some paper garlands for last week's fundraising Christmas market, I experimented a little using the same concept and came up with a fun & simple way to make this paper bauble Christmas decoration.


To make these cute garlands you need a large circle hole punch* (or some scissors & a shot glass), some old sheet music and a sewing machine.  Place 2 paper circles on top of each other and thread through the machine and repeat until you have a garland of your desired length.  


To make the single bauble decoration you use the same concept.  This time you pile 5 paper circles on top of each other (depending on the thickness of your paper & what your machine will cope with) and thread it through the machine, leaving a long thread at one end to use as the string to attach to the tree.  Both the garland and the bauble really work best with double sided paper.


While we are on the topic of Christmas decos, I thought I'd share a little cheats way of hanging Christmas decorations that my mother taught me...Twisting open a wire paperclip (as pictured below) makes decorating the Christmas tree so much easier for little hands!


To be honest, you don't really need a sewing machine to make the paper bauble Christmas decoration.  I have seen it made many times using glue.  Just slightly more time consuming.  With a gluestick and some more paper circles, you could also have fun making a larger paper bauble like this one made by my clever friend Heather.





I have also seen the same concept work really well on Christmas cards here.

This garland that I saw on the Creative Place last week is what I want to try next...after I purchase some different sized hole punches... a whole new league of garland!  


For some more paper decorations made from old sheet music check these out.



My circle punches are both 2" in size.  One plain circle and one with a scalloped edge.  Mine were purchased on ebay, but I have seen them at art supply shops in various shapes and sizes.

1 comment:

Mama of 2 boys said...

How lovely Emma, particularly appeals to me with the music note paper... I have plenty of that and it looks so pretty made up into a decoration, very clever :o) Thanks for sharing xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails