14.12.11

SNOW GLOBES & CHARITY GIFTS

A very clever friend of mine is running a truckdrive for Christmas!  You can purchase a part of a truck to help alleviate poverty in the highlands of PNG.  Well, it's not just for Christmas, but a windscreen wiper would make a great Christmas present if you are looking for something a little different this year.  Head over to their website for details!


I'm not a big fan of shopping centres at the best of times.  As I generally have a couple of kids in tow - it's enough to send me running to the hills.  In fact, it may well be why I'm such a fan of handmade at the moment!

I'm also not a fan of all of the consumerism that comes with Christmas and the purchasing of token presents that in many cases the other person really doesn't want or need.

That's why charity gifts are ideal.  You can give a gift to someone who actually needs it on behalf of someone who might enjoy the buzz of helping someone else.

I know of a few family groups who have decided this year, instead of having the usual token kriskringle amongst the adults, to join forces and pool their resources to purchase a cow, a well or even a school!  They are great for teachers gifts also (thanks Sonia)!

This post was not written as a guilt inducer - I love Christmas and all that it entails and I love to give gifts and to receive them!!  

Sometimes it can feel a little boring just giving a charity card so sometimes we add a roll of toilet paper (with a charity gift of a toilet) or some pencils (with a charity gift of school supplies) or a plant/seeds (with a charity gift of tree seedlings).  You could give a toy truck to go with the truckdrive mentioned above. 


This year we made a few snowglobes and put inside toy chickens, lambspigs or goats (to give along with a charity gift of animals).  A fun way for the kids to get involved.  If you'd like to make some, head here for instructions. (They work well for plastic giftcards too!)


Tricia from Little Eco Footprints has written a great little post on a similar vein which also includes a list of different charities you can purchase a Christmas gift through over here.

Do you give charity gifts?  Have you ever received one and felt jibbed?





P.S. If you'd like to combine the two - a gift of a gorgeous handcrafted handbag and also donate to charity at the same time, then head over here!

3 comments:

Color Lesson Plans said...

Lovely gift to be presented.

Jane's Journal said...

I really like your idea of the snow globe or seedlings etc to go with the 'charity gift'. Excellent! I have always just given the boring card with photo! Thanks! Think I'll copy your idea, Emma.

Marina said...

Love the toilet paper idea! My sister looked behind me when I first gave her a 'goat' for her birthday - she thought I might of had it with me LoL! The first time I was given one, I felt a little let down (early twenties thing) then I realised just how damn lucky we have it here - my kids love going 'shopping' and sending kids to school and buying mozzie nets!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails