11.4.12

An Easter reflection

I know you're all probably a little over Easter posts on this blog, but I thought this might interest some of you.


Somewhere amongst all the chocolate at Easter, Granny organised a lovely Easter reflection  activity for the kids.  Something to help us all remember the reason why we celebrate Easter.  Thought I'd share as it might be a meaningful thing for some of you to share with your children next year.


After we all had eaten one of Granny's delicious shortbread biscuits, ten numbered plastic eggs were placed on the table and we all took it in turns to open each one.


Each egg contained a part of the Easter story and a small item that matched that part of the story.


 for eg. cloves to represent the spices that the women brought to the tomb to annoint Jesus body.


The last egg was empty to show that Jesus was no longer there as he had risen.


You can get all of the instructions and free printables over here.  I think next year, it might be helpful to use more child friendly wording, but Granny was there to explain, so it still worked.

For more kids Easter activities, you might like to check out our kids craft page... to bookmark (or pin) for next year.

7 comments:

Tania said...

I always struggle with the religion bit of things. We don't practise religion, yet both the Mr and I have childhood histories of celebrating religious festivals. We walk a fine line of explaining the meaning beyond the chocolate eggs, while instilling our own family traditions and without getting TOO hung up on how the whole thing originated. Phew.

Kymmie said...

Oh Emma, this is such a fabulous idea! My husband and I have been talking about when we introduce what the easter bunnies REALLY represent, although they are aware that Jesus died on the cross for us. But this visual would work so well for my lads.

Thanks for sharing. I must confess I haven't read anything like this over the weekend, and I'm so glad I stopped to read this.

xx

Sannah said...

I always feel compelled to weave the religious and historical significance into Christmas - I hate that it is so commercial and all the meaning tends to be lost.
I struggle more with easter. Maybe it is the timing, but it seems to arrive before I know it, and it is just easier (for me) to let the chocolate take over.
I like Grannie's idea.
x Sannah

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

Oh I love this idea and hope I remember it for next year. We had our kids and their cousins do a prayer at meal time and it was lovely reminding them of the meaning of Easter and for being thankful. Your granny is tops xx

Mama of 2 boys said...

That is such a clever and imaginative way to teach children the true Easter story and make them feel involved. What a lovely thing for Granny to do for the little ones xo

Dee said...

I really love this idea Emma.
What a great way to bring meaning to the day.
Thanks for all the Easter inspiration. I blogged some pics here : http://wildaboutmelbourne.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/thats-easter-egg-wrap.html
Is it too early to start planning for Christmas ???

Posie Patchwork said...

Since my eldest started high school (religious, there aren't any non denominal schools in the ACT) i've learnt a whole lot more about the Easter story. We're not religious but silly to be ignorant to what is important to others. The cookies are a sweet take (oh literally) love Posie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails