25.8.12

Spinach, Cheese & Corn muffins



In the weeks after my recent op, I had many friends drop around with meals and goodies with I was extreeeeeeeemely grateful for!  The biggest surprise winner for my kids were some muffins made by my friend Anna.  I mean, they had green stuff in them and hers had three times more and in much larger pieces than mine in the pic above!  They chose them over her delicious handmade sausage rolls and had a couple each!

SPINACH CHEESE & CORN MUFFINS

2 cups SR flour
1 can of corn kernels
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/4 cup of chopped chives
2 cups of roughly chopped spinach
1 cup milk
1 egg
80g melted butter
2 tbs polenta

1.  Turn oven on to 200 degrees celcius.
2. Grease 12 cup capacity muffin tin.  Or just use muffin cases.
3. Combine flour, corn, cheese, flour & spinach in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.  
4. Combine milk, eggs & butter in a jug and pour into the well.  Using a wooden spoon, mix together until just combined. Try not to overmix (difficult with kids involved!)
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins and sprinkle with polenta.  (The kids love this bit).
6.  Pop in the oven for 20-25 mins.  


They are particularly delicious fresh out of the oven with lots of butter!


Just like these, these & these lunchtime winners, they freeze well and are great to bring out and reheat when needing a yummy lunch or snack.




We have made them a few times since and they are still a hit.  

I always have lots of eager & adorable helpers in the kitchen.  


Can't seem to get away with cooking on my own.  Is it the same at your house? 



For more easy peasy recipes, head over here.

11 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh i love how you involve your children in the cooking & baking, i started this as soon as they were able to sit up (yes i put them on the kitchen counter, no, no body ever fell off) . . . my husband used to joke that they were there to supervise me!! I just figure if they see everything, get their hands involved & feel included, they'll eat anything & everything, i can attest to that with my 4 children, least fussiest eaters around.
This recipe looks delicious, i've been after some new muffin ideas as my 3rd girl has never been a huge fan, she'll suffer through muffins but happily ate some at a friend's house on the weekend. Personally i find muffins fantastic as you don't have to ice them & they are filling for recess. Brilliant, love Posie

Jane's Journal said...

Thanks, Em, for posting all the gorgeous photos of my grandchildren! I LOVE that!

creations.1 said...

Oh YUMMMMM!!!!! Simple recipe, look delicious.... think I might try these tomorrow with my visiting grandchildren before they head home - for once I have everything the recipe needs in the cupboard and garden!!

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh yummy, these look fabulous Emma. I think they would go down a treat around these parts, thank you for sharing. LOVE those pics, your helpers are gorgeous... and yes, I ALWAYS have extra assistants while I'm baking/cooking too, so helpful!! xoxo

Anna Bartlett said...

I'm going to try these right now!

CC said...

These look good. I haven't made savoury muffins for ages. Maybe it will be just the thing to tempt a vegie-averse child. Here's hoping.

annie said...

Thank goodness for the angel friends who cook when we are laid low! I have been so spoilt the last six months that I haven't baked much and the eggs are overflowing. These may be up for tomorrow though!

Paula said...

what is the polenta for? can I replace it with corn flour or something else?

Love your recipes, thanks!

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Paula, the polenta (AKA cornmeal) is to sprinkle on top of the muffins at the end to give it a bit of texture. I'd just leave it out rather than replace with cornflour.

Bron said...

MMMM thanks for sharing I think I may just have to make a batch of these. x

Catherine said...

I like the sound of these and I have plenty of spinach in the garden to use up, thank you for the recipe. Love your happy helpers there:) x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails